It is time to make some glögg extract (mulled wine extract), and in this case you need to do some planning, as the process involves 3 days of infusion of the extract in the refrigerator, so it is not an easy fix. A faster version would be this mulled white wine, which requires a night over infusion with the spices.
It is also the first time, that I see the use of vanilla pod in glögg extract, all the other spices are the classic Christmas spices. I have found this recipe in either "Alt for Damerne" or "Femina", I do not recall.
This glögg extract can be heated up with raisins and almond pieces to be served warm as traditional glögg. Another option is to heat it up and pour into a cup of black tea or to be served as Christmas cocktail, which is the purpose I am intending to use this glöog extract for.
- 350 g sugar
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 2 dl port wine
- 2 dl orange syrup
- 1 organic lemon - only the zest
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cardamon kernels
- 3 star anise
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 pieces of all spice
- 10 cloves
- 1 vanilla pod - corn and pod
- All the ingredients into big cooking pot. Bring it to the boil, and let it simmer without lid on.
- Let the liquid reduce slightly.
- Pour the liquid and all spices into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Let glögg extract be infused in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Prepare the storage glasses by adding boiling water to them. Empty the glasses
- Sieve the glögg extract and pour the liquid in to storage glass.
- Store the glögg extract cold until use.