Today Thursday evening is this the evening before Store Bededag (Great Payer Day) (a Danish religious holiday celebrated on the 4th Friday after Easter). And it is the peak evening for enjoying roasted "hveder" - wheat buns with cardamom.
This year I tested out a recipe I located in the weekly magazine "Hendes Verden - issue 19 / 2022" being rich in egg. I have have no changes to the recipe expected for the kneading and raising procedure, where I used my usual way of kneading & raising. The recipe could do with some more cardamom or perhaps a combination of cardamom & vanilla sugar.
"Hveder" (wheat buns) with cardamom a la "Hendes Verden": - 12-14 buns
- 600 g wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 80 g butter
- 25 g fresh yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 250 g full-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- Weigh all the ingredients directly into the mixing bowl of the stand alone mixer. Keep salt & sugar away from the yeast.
- Place the bowl on the stand-alone mixer.
- Start knead the dough at speed 1 for 8 minutes.
- Afterwards increase the speed to 4, knead for 2 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough. If it is not OK, when knead it at speed 4 for another 2 minutes. Again check the consistency. If needed, knead again for 1 minute and when check consistency of the dough.
- Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a damp tea towel.
- Let the entire dough raise for approx 40-60 minutes under a damp cloth.
- When you evaluate, that the dough has raise enough, divide the dough into smaller pieces with a weight of 80 g each.
- Shape the dough pieces into bun shapes. Place the bun pieces relative close in pans covered with baking parchment.
- Place the pans with bun dough in the oven (fan oven at 35-40'C).
- Let the bun raise for second time for approx. 40 minutes inside the oven, you could on top fill some boiling water into a container below the dough in the oven
- Heat up the oven to 200'C.
- Bake the bun at 180'C for 20 minutes.
- Serve the buns warm with butter. Or slice them into 2 and roast the buns in the fan oven at 200C until light brown in the colour.
Post a Comment
Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.