Last year I got a request from one of my good blog readers, that she would "like to have" a recipe on Shrovetide buns with liquorice, so I took a tour out on google looking for a recipe on Shrovetide Buns with liquorice, where I decided to bake this one fastelavnsboller med lakrids from Samvirke.
I have the following modification on the original recipe. Being a liquorice fan (natural trait of being Danish) I decided to give it full power with liquorice, using a combination of English liquorice powder and raw liquorice powder. I also decided to add a little lemon zest in to the bun filling. And finally I have removed the vanilla sugar from lemon icing.
Wauuw, this is a Fastelavnbolle for connoisseurs. The very first impression you get is a sweet refreshing lemon flavour from the icing, as you bite longer and longer into the Shrovetide bun the power of liquorice kicks in - uuhmmm. So here my good blog reader from Estonia is your request from last year being fulfilled incl my little purple twist on the lemon icing.
Fastelavnsboller med lakrids: - 15 buns
- 100 g butter
- 3 tablespoons dark syrup
- 2 teaspoons cardamon
- 350 g milk - 0-3.5% fat
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 20-25 g yeast
- 575 g wheat flour
- 1 egg - beaten for glazing
- 75 g marzipan - grated
- 75 g butter - soft
- 3 teaspoon liquorice powders
- 1 teaspoon raw liquorice powder
- ½ lemon zest
- 75 g sugar
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1 organic lemon - juice and 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- a few drops of yellow colour
- Mix butter, dark syrup, cardamon and milk in a cooking pot. Let it heat up, until the butter is melted.
- Pour the liquid into a mixing bowl and let it cool down until it is finger warm.
- Add the egg into the liquid, followed by the yeast, stir well. Finally add the salt.
- Add the wheat flour. Knead the dough together, I usual knead for 10 minutes.
- After the kneading process, let the dough raise warm for 1½-2 hour.
- Mix marzipan, butter, sugar and liquorice powder together to a homogeneous mass.
- Roll the dough into a square with a height of ½ cm in a size of 50 x 30 cm
- Cut the the dough into squares of 10 x 10 cm
- Add the marzipan filling into the middle of the dough square
- Fold the dough together around the filling - fold it close together
- Place the bun up-side-down on the baking plate
- Raise the buns for another 30 minutes
- Heat the (conventional) oven to 210'C
- Glaze the buns with a whipped egg
- Bake at 210'C for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven (conventional)
- Cool down the buns before decoration with lemon sugar icing.