During my creative beetroot cook out in my little kitchen I turned 3 kg of boiled beetroots in 4 different pickled beetroots, It is actually very easy to do, as the beetroot slices is identical, the difference is in the pickle liquid.
I used a recipe from Camilla Plums cook book (Mormormad = Grandmas food) as inspiration using the ingredients, which I had available in my kitchen.
The boiling time for the beetroots depend on the size of beetroot, so everything between 20-50 minutes, so check after 20 minutes cooking with a kitchen knife, if the beetroot is firm or soft.
When the beetroot is boiled, place them in a big bowl or the kitchen sink, which is full of cold water. This will cracking the skin on the beetroot, so you push the skin off using your hands. Afterwards slice the beetroot in thinner slices. Now they are ready to be placed in the pickle liquid.
Beetroots will giving off plenty of colour, so consider to wear plastic gloves, when you remove the skin and slice the beetroot. Otherwise you hands can get a nice purple colour.
Pickled beetroot with Camilla Plum twist: 2-3 glasses
- 600-750 g boiled and sliced beetroot
- 500 g plain vinegar
- 250 g sugar
- 1 stem of fresh thyme
- ½ teasspon black pepper corns
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- Add vinegar, sugar, thyme and herbs in a cooking pot.
- Bring the pickle liquid to the boil.
- Add beetroot slices into the storage glasses, which has been sterilised with boiling water.
- Pour the hot pickle liquid into the glass, covering all the beetroot slices.
- Store the pickled beetroot as ambient temperature, when not opened.
- After opening a glass of pickled beetroot store the rest in the refrigerator.
Post a Comment
Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.