January 26, 2020

Mini Milk Ice


I am trying to get into the habit of making home-made ice cream again using my ice cream machine. As January for many people is a month with focus on eating less fat & sugar, I decided to this ice only skimmed milk with 0.5% fat and as well reduced the sugar amount. I decided still to use sugar and not to use high intensive sweeteners (HIS) like aspartame, as the use of HIS will give a different flavour profile together with a very different texture, which is more hard in it.

In order to lower the sugar content, I decided to use a combination of sucrose and fructose. Fructose is more sweet than sucrose, fructose also lower the freezing point of the ice (= make the ice more soft). However, as I lower the overall sugar addition, I think, that the softness of the ice will remain quiet close to than of my normal ice cream recipe.

Also the combination of sucrose and fructose provide a sweetness sweetness synergy. I have a rule of thumb that 3% sucrose + 3% fructose equal 10% sucrose. ing fructose brings more sweetness, as these two sugars together have a sweetness synergy

I used this recipe on chai ice cream as starting point for making the recipe on this Mini Milk Ice. The work "Moni Milk" comes from the name of the milk type, which I use. Skimmed milk with 0.5% fat is called "Mini Milk" in Denmark. And I think you have also notice, that I not using the word "Ice cream" in the recipe, as it does not contain any cream and the overall fat content is below 8%, which is the minimum fat content for a product to become a "cream".

Mini Milk Ice: 4-6 servings
  • 630 g mini milk, 0.5% fat
  • 39 g skimmed milk powder
  • 30 g sucrose
  • 30 g fructose 
  • 32 g glucose syrup as powder
  • 6 g ice cream stabiliser
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 vanilla pod
  1. Dry-mix all the powder ingredients. Pout them into the milk, as the milk is whipped.
  2. Pour the milk base into the a cooking pot.
  3. Heat the ice cream mix over medium heat until hot, but not boiling.
  4. Pour the ice cream mix into a plastic container with a lid on.
  5. Cool down the ice cream mix in the refrigerator, let the mix stand for minimum 4 hours or night over.
  6. Whip the ice cream mix prior to freezing it.
  7. Pour the mix into the ice cream machine and freeze it into ice cream, which takes around 30-40 minutes.
  8. Store the ice cream in the freezer.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Your comment is my reward :-)
    You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...