September 25, 2016

Sloe gin


It has been on my wish list for quiet some years to make my own sloe gin, but until last week-end the birds had been eating all the sloe berries, beofore I found a sloe tree. However, last week-end I found plenty of sloe, so now I can make my own sloe gin. I have placed the sloe berries for a week in the freezer to increase the sweetness of the berries. And I de-frosted the berries night over in the refrigerator, before mixing gin and sloe together.

I ma happy, that we picked more than just 20 sloes, which one of the fellow pickers mentioned last week-end, as most of the English recipes on sloe gin uses around 500 g sloe.

I have used a combination of these two recipes on sloe gin (Jamie Oliver sloe gin recipe and BBC Good Food sloe gin). I decided to add only 2 tablespoons of sugar as starting point, when after the infusing step I can add sugar syrup to the the preferred sweetness level.

Do not use a cheap gin for making your own sloe gin. Cheap gin will make less good sloe gin, so spend some extra money on buying a better gin quality.

Sloe gin: - 1 bottle

  • 410 g sloe
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 560 ml gin
  1. Start by adding boiling water to the storage glass, leave the water in the glass for 5 minutes.
  2. Empty the glass.
  3. Fill in the sloe berries and sugar.
  4. Afterwards pour in the gin.
  5. Close the glass.
  6. Give the glass a good shake.
  7. Store the glass away from sun light.
  8. Give the glass a shake every day for the first week.
  9. Afterwards give the glass a shake like once every week.
  10. Let the sloe infuse the gin for 2 month.
  11. Remove the sloe berries after 2 months infusing.
  12. Taste the sloe gin and add in extra sugar syrup for a more sweet taste.
  13. Sieve the gin through a coffee filter into a clean bottle.
  14. Store and enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...