September 08, 2016

Fig jam with walnuts


I have harvest my fig tree and saved the outcome for later use in form of fig jam with walnuts. As starting point I have used this recipe on figenmarmelade with addition of walnuts and replacing the lemon juice with apple cider vinegar, as I did not have any fresh lemons in my little kitchen.

Next time I will be making the jam in a different way, so I can work with pectin as gelling agent, as this jam is quiet liquid.

Fig jam with walnuts:
  • 650 g fresh figs - remove top and bottom, cut into smaller pieces
  • 450 g sugar
  • 1 vanilla pod - both pod and corn
  • 250 g water
  • 50 g walnuts - medium chopped
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  1. Add water, sugar, vanilla pod and vanilla corn into a cooking pot.
  2. Heat it up until the sugar is dissolved.
  3. Add the fig pieces, and let the jam boil gently for 15 minutes.
  4. As I found the fig pieces to be to big, I decided to blend the fig jam.
  5. Add in the walnut pieces
  6. Taste the jam, decide is you would like more sweetness or acidity in the final jam. Adjustments are done using either vinegar and/or sugar.
  7. Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. Another thing you can do is to store the jam cold afterwards to increase the shelf-life.
  8. As the jam is made from 2 parts of fruit and 1 part of sugar, the sugar content is not high enough to preserve the jam.
  9. Fill the glass with jam and close the glass.
  10. Store cold.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps a glass of fig jam will be a part of your birthday gift ? Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...