Today Thursday evening is this the evening before Store Bededag (Great Payer Day) (a Danish religious holiday celebrated on the 4th Friday after Easter). And it is the peak evening for enjoying roasted "hveder" - wheat buns with cardamon.
This year I have baked these "hveder" (wheat buns) using this recipe on classic buns as starting point with addition of freshly grounded cardamon. The second raising phase have also been modified. For other suggestions on home-made hveder take a look here: suggestions for "hveder"
"Hveder" (wheat buns) with cardamon: - 16-20 buns
- 650 g wheat flour
- 50 g sugar
- 120 g butter
- 50 g fresh yeast
- 1 egg
- 8 g salt
- 250 g full-fat milk
- 12 cardamon seed pods - the seeds removed and milled or 1½ teaspoon ground cardamon
- Weigh all the ingredients directly into the mixing bowl of the stand alone mixer. Keep salt & sugar away from the yeast.
- Place the bowl on the stand-alone mixer.
- Start knead the dough at speed 1 for 8 minutes.
- Afterwards increase the speed to 4, knead for 2 minutes. Check the consistency of the dough. If it is not OK, when knead it at speed 4 for another 2 minutes. Again check the consistency. If needed, knead again for 1 minute and when check consistency of the dough.
- Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a damp tea towel.
- Let the entire dough raise for approx 30-40 minutes under a damp cloth.
- When you evaluate, that the dough has raise enough, divide the dough into smaller pieces with a weight of 70 g each.
- Shape the dough pieces into bun shapes. Place the bun pieces relative close in pans covered with baking parchment.
- Place the pans with bun dough in the oven (fan oven at 35-40'C) together with 1 liter boiling water in a jug.
- Let the bun raise for second time for approx 40 minutes inside the oven.
- Heat up the fan oven to 180'C.
- Bake the bun at 180'C for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve the buns warm with butter. Or slice them into 2 and roast the buns in the fan oven at 200C until light brown in the colour.