We are in the prime season of fresh asparagus, which I enjoy. Yesterday Friday I went on a shopping tour to Germany, as it was a public holiday in Denmark (Store Bededag). And as usual I did also take the time to go to a supermarket, where I found a big selection of German green & white asparagus.
Some of the asparagus I turned into asparagus soup this evening.
Asparagus soup: 3-4 servings
- 600 g white asparagus - to have the end broken off, to be peeled and chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 500 g green asparagus - to have the end broken off and chopped into 2 cm pieces
- 30 g butter
- 3 tablespoons wheat flour
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 2½-3 dl dairy whipping cream, 30-38% fat
- season with salt and pepper.
- Salt & pepper for seasnoing.
- Prepare the two types of asparagus individual.
- Melt the butter in a medium cooking pot.
- When the butter is melted, stir in the wheat flour. Let the wheat flour dissolved into the melted butter.
- Add in the vegetable stock little by little, so the butter-flour mixture is dissolved into the vegetable stock.
- Add in the prepared white asparagus. Let the asparagus pieces simmer gentle in the soup for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the cream to the soup together with the prepared green asparagus pieces.
- Bring the soup to the boil. Let the soup boil gentle for 2-3 minutes.
- Season the soup with salt & pepper.