|Rhubarb cordial with orange and star anise
My own rhubarbs are also growing, but they are less abundant, so I need a good starting portion from my friends´ garden in Horsens, which were delivered in person by my good girl friend.
If you wonder, why I have placed tulip heads in the cover picture with the rhubarb cordial, the reason is very simple. Hannibal the Cat, my BIG garden lion with a fighting weight of 7 kg, which is a big mouse hunter is also keen on bitting of the tulip heads of the growing tulips in my garden.
You should really try this rhubarb cordial, it has a great taste with an elegant touch of star anise.
Perch Hill Rhubarb cordial with orange and star anise:
- 2 kg rhubarb stems, roughly chopped
- 1.5 kg cold water
- 2 oranges (organic), 8 strips of the peel and juice from both fruits
- 8-10 star anise
- 600-800 g sugar
- 2-3 lemons
|All the tasty ingredients prior to cooking
- Cut the rhubarb stems into larges pieces, into pieces of 2 cm.
- Remove the cooking pot and place it cold away from the stove, let it rest for min. 1 hour
- Remove the rhubarb pieces, orange peels and star anise from the cordial part using a sieve.
- Mix rhubarb juice, lemon juice and sugar together, small addition of each ingredients, so you can adjust the sweetness and freshness to your desired preference.
- Place the cooking pot on low heat and only heat up until, the sugar has been dissolved.
- Pour the hot rhubarb cordial into bottles, which have been standing with boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
- Store the rhubarb cordial in the refrigerator or freeze, as no anti-microbial have been added.
|Rhubarbs growing in my garden