June 01, 2013

Mini citrus jam


Last Friday a good colleague of mine greeted me upon arrival at work with a plastic bag full of small citrus fruits from a citrus tree in his green house.

Sticking my nose into the plastic bag my nose was filled with a wonderful flavour of citrus :-) I knew at once, that I would these mini citrus fruits into jam using this method for making citrus jam. The only modification, which I made was to reduce the cooking time significantly to only 5-7 minutes due to the size of the mini citrus fruits.

The final jam is quiet liquid/fluid, so the natural pectin level in mini citrus fruits was quiet low.

Mini Citrus Jam:
  • 325 g mini citrus fruits 
  • 275 g sugar or more sugar, if more sweetness is preferred
  1. Wash the mini citrus fruits.
  2. Place the mini citrus fruits in a small cooking pot, which when is filled with water.
  3. Place the lid on the cooking pot. Let the citrus fruits boiled (softly) for 5-7 minutes.
  4. Remove the mini citrus fruits and place them in a blender.
  5. Add sugar on top of the citrus fruits.
  6. Blend everything into a homogeneous mass.
  7. Add the sugar little by little, so you adjust the sweetness level to your personal preference.
  8. Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. I do not use any preservatives in my home-made jam, so this is important to increase shelf-life of your jam. Another thing you can do is to store the jam cold afterwards. 
  9. Fill the glass with jam and close the glass.

2 comments:

  1. Time to make citrus jams! It was very generous of your colleague to give you a bag of this citrus goodness. What’s great is that there’s a lot of stuff you can make with it; from juice to jams, and even marmalades. Thanks for sharing one of your recipes!

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Faith,

      thank you for your nice comment.

      I find, that making jam is an excellent way of enjoy fruits and berries over a prolonged period of time.

      And yes, I have some very generous colleagues, who shares their surplus in form of berries and vegetable with the rest of thier colleagues. I in return shares my leftovers of cookies and cakes after my baking.

      Kirsten

      Delete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...