It is time again for the annual cake regatta at rowing club, where I have the honor of being the host here in 2018, as my cake hindbærsnitter (raspberry cuttings) won the title of 2017 champion baker of Vejle Roklub.
As the host for the annual cake regatta I get to select the theme for this year´s, and here I have selected the theme"cookies" as the challenge.
I will bring version 2 of the World´s best cookie as my contribution for the cake regatta this afternoon.
By adjusting the baking time, when baking cookies, you can get your preferred texture in cookies. The baking time mentioned below will give you a chewy texture, which is my preferred texture in cookies.
The addition of nuts are optional. I decided to use a combination of almonds and walnuts. In the original recipe the added nuts are hazelnuts. So just your preferred nuts in order to make these world´s best cookies into your best cookies :-) An option could be to added pecan nuts.
This time I used a combination of dark milk and white chocolate instead of a combination of dark and white chocolate, as I am not really a fan of dark chocolate, as I do not like the bitterness in dark chocolate. Again add in your preference within chocolate.
Concerning the resting time for the cookies, the minimum time is 1 hour. However, everything between 1 hour and 72 hours are feasible. So in theory you can bake a small amount of the cookies for 3 days in a row allowing you to enjoy freshly baked cookies for 3 days :-)
As the cookies float a lot during baking it is important NOT to place too many cookies on one baking tray, so my recommendation is to place 5 cookies per baking tray, as seen on the photos below.
World´s best cookies version 2: - 18 cookies
- 240 g (cake) flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 140 g butter
- 145 brown sugar
- 115 g sugar
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 g dark milk chocolate - chopped into small pieces
- 50 g white chocolate - chopped into small pieces
- 50 g walnuts - chopped into small pieces
- 50 g almonds - chopped into small pieces
- Whip sugar, brown sugar and butter together on a mixer.
- Add in the egg, and stir well again on the mixer.
- Add in the salt, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla sugar and flour and mix everything into a homogeneous mass on the mixer.
- Finally stir by hand the chopped chocolate and nuts.
- Place the cookie dough in a mixing bowl, which is placed cold in the refrigerator for 1-72 hours.
- Heat up the (fan) oven to 175'C.
- Divide the cookies dough in small lumps of 50 g each. Roll the lumps into ball shape.
- Place the cookie dough on a baking tray covered with the baking paper. There should be good distance between the cookies as the cookies will start to float during the baking.
- Bake the cookies at 175'C for 14-18 minutes.
- Let the cookies cold down, before they are stored in an airtight container.