October 21, 2018

Pea soup with bacon bites


Autumn time is many ways time for making and enjoying various home-made soups.

I have found this recipe on pea soup with bacon in the recipe collection of COOP. I have made a few adjustments. I did not have any lemon, so the lemon zest was not added into the soup. I also decided to fry the radish and nut in the fat of the bacon after the frying of the bacon. Instead of hazel nuts I used cashew nuts instead of, as I could not find the hazel nuts anywhere in my kitchen. And finally I increase the amount of vegetable stock from 1 dl to 2½ dl.

The original recipe states, that it can serve 4 persons, which I find a little hard to believe, at my mother and I almost empty the cooking pot with the soup !!! So in my opinion the recipe only serves 2 persons, if it is served as main course. If served as appetizer, when it can served 4 persons or more.

I found the soup to be a little to sweet in taste, which could be due to the lack of the lemon zest. Perhaps addition of ½-1 teaspoon apple/white wine vinegar could have reduced the sweetness of the soup as well ?

Another suggestion for soup based on pea could be this pea & courgette, and off cause soup on pumpkin is very most in season right here and now.


Pea soup with bacon bites: - 2 persons
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 cloves of garlic - roughly chopped
  • 1 onion - roughly chopped
  • 600 g peas - fresh or frozen, I used frozen
  • 2½ dl vegetable stock
  • 2½ dl dairy whipping cream with 38% fat, cream with lower fat content can also be used
  • Salt & pepper for seasoning
Topping:
  • 140-150 g bacon squares
  • 100 g radish - medium-thin sliced
  • 2-3 tablespoon cashew nuts
  1. Fry the chopped garlic and onion in the butter for approx 2 minutes.
  2. Add in the peas and vegetable stock.
  3. Let the soup simmer gentle for 20 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile fry the bacon bites on a frying pan.
  5. When the bacon bites are crispy, remove them from the frying pan.
  6. Fry the radish slices and nuts in the bacon fat for approx 5-6 minutes.
  7. Blend the soup into a homogeneous mass
  8. Pout the dairy cream and bring the soup to the boil.
  9. Season with salt & pepper.
  10. Serve the pea soup with the topping of crispy bacon bites, radish slices and cashew nuts.
  11. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...