At my recent birthday coffee I served cream cake using this recipe from Odense Marcipan on marcipanlagkage med rabarberkompot og syrlig vaniljecreme.
Whipping together the dairy whipping cream and the full fat sour cream takes longer time than usual compared to whipping only dairy whipping cream. However, the flavour of cream and sour cream brings a great fresh taste, which helps to balance all the sweetness coming from the marzipan cake cover.
However, I made the following modifications. Instead of baking my own sponge cake for the cake layers, I decided to but ready-to-use cake layers.
Also the amount of dairy whipping cream and sour cream is a "funny" amount being 300 g, as the portion size of whipping cream and sour cream usually is either 250 g or 500 g portion sizes in the Danish supermarkeds. So here I adjsuted the amount from 300 g to 250 g.
You can easily make the rhubarb compote the day before or a few days before, that you put the entire cream cake together.
Cream cake with rhubarb compote and marzipan: - 1 cake
- 1 pack with 3 cream cake layers
- 1 vanilla pod
- 300 g rhubarb - cut into pieces of 2-3 cm
- 100 g sugar
- 2½ dl dairy whipping cream 35-40% fat
- 2½ dl full-fat sour cream, 35-30% fat
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 marzipan cake cover
- Remove the vanilla corn from the vanilla pod, spread the vanilla corn with 1-2 teaspoons of the sugar.
- Cut the rhubarb stems into a length of 2-3 cm.
- Add the rhubarb, vanilla pod & corn and sugar into a cooking pot. Let the rhubarb simmer gently until the rhubarb is soft.
- Remove the vanilla pod from the rhubarb and let the rhubarb compote cool down. Store the rhubarb cold until, the cake is made. The rhubarb compote can be made a few days in advance.
- Add dairy whipping cream, full fat sour cream, vanilla sugar and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Whip the vanilla cream together on medium speed in order to avoid over-whipping. The whipping takes longer time compared to whipping of dairy whipping cream on it´s own.
- Whip the vanilla cream until it is firm without being over firm/over churned.
- Place one of the cake buns on the serving dish.
- Spread ½ of the rhubarb compote on the cake bun.
- Spread 1/3 of the vanilla cream on top of the rhubarb compote.
- Place the second cake bun on top of the vanilla cream.
- Spread the rest of the rhubarb compote on the cake bun.
- Spread 1/3 of the vanilla cream on top of the rhubarb compte.
- Place the last cake bun on top of the vanilla cream.
- Spread the remaining vanilla cream on top of the last cake bun.
- Take the marzipan cover out of it's package.
- Place the marzipan cover over the cake.
- Store the cream cake, until it is time to serve the cake.
- Serve the cream cake together with coffee & tea.
Post a Comment
Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.