June 20, 2019

Rhubarb & raspberry jam


At the Summer preserves course last year I brought this jam cooking book "First preserves marmelades, jam and chutneys. And this book I have located this recipe on rhubarb & raspberry jam. So this enabled me to use some of the rhubarbs in my garden together with clearing up the raspberries in my freezer.

I have just recently made this rhubarb & apple jam

As usual I will sell the majority of the jam to my work colleagues, as I cannot eat all this rhubarb jam on my own. The money, which my colleagues pay will afterwards be donated to charity.

Rhubarb & apple jam: 8-10 glasses
  • 450 g rhubarb stems - washed and stem removed and cut into a length 2-3 cm
  • 450 g raspberries
  • 85 ml water
  • 840 g sugar
  • Atamon - optional
    1. Add the rhubarb pieces, raspberries and water to a large jam. Bring the content to the boil, let the fruit simmer gently until tender/has pulpy appearance, approx 15 minutes.
    2. Prepare the jam glasses either by heating up in the oven or adding boiling water to them.
    3. Add the sugar into the fruit mass and stir until it is dissolved.
    4. Bring the jam to a rolling boil and boil hard until the setting point is reached. Stir the jam frequently.
    5. Test of set after 5 minutes using the flake test.
    6. When the setting point is reached, remove the pan from the heat and leave it to stand for 5 minutes. As the jam settles, push any scums from the surface of the pan to the side and remove it with a metal spoon. The purpose for the waiting step is well to build viscosity in jam, so the fruit pieces will be trapped inside the jam inside of be going to the top of jam.
    7. Gently stir the jam after the resting time and pour it into the prepared glasses, fill the glasses up to the brim. Remove any scum for the surface of the jam using a tea spoon. Close the glass with a lid.
    8. Leave the glass upright and disturbed to cool and set.
    9. Store at ambient temperature.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Your comment is my reward :-)
    You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...