In connection with, that I got a bunch of gherkins, I have been testing out various recipes on pickled gherkins like these pickled cornichons. In this connection I found this recipe on pickled gherkins a la Rigeligt Smør, which I have made no modification to.
After the pickling process, the gherkins should mature for approx 3-4 weeks, so I still have to wait a little more time, before I taste them.
Pickled gherkins a la Rigelige Smør:
- 750 g gherkins
- 1 l water
- 50 g salt
- 1 dill crown
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10-20 black pepper corns
- 1 cloce of garlic - cut into smaller pieces
- 1 small shallot - cut into slices
- 4 dl vinegar
- 200 g sugar
- Bring the water to the boil, add salt into the water. Let the water-salt liquid cool down.
- While the water-salt solution cools down, clean the gherkins. I used a sponge to clean the entire surface. Afterwards prickle the gherkins.
- Place the pickled gherkins in the cold water-salt solution for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove the gherkins from the water-salt solution.
- Add all the spices for the pickling liquid in a empty glass or pickling jar. Afterwards add in the gherkins
- Bring the vinegar and salt to the boil.
- Pour the boiling vinegar liquid over the gherkins in the pickling glass/jar.
- Fill the pickling glass/jar to the top, until the gherkins are covered by the pickling liquid.
- Let the gherkins rest in the pickling liquid for around 3-4weeks, before you start using the picked gherkins.
Post a Comment
Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.