The various kitchen gardens are booming with squash, so it can be an easy task to get surplus squash from friends and work colleagues. One way of using squash is to bake a cake with squash, and here I this time tried out this recipe from Valdemarsro. I decided to leave out the chocolate and I also replaced the walnuts with pecan nuts, as I still have some pecan nuts in stock after my last trip to USA. And the topping/glazing I also did not make. The cake taste great on it´s own.
As other suggestions for squash cakes you could also have look at these recipes:
- squash cake with butter
- Preben's squash cake with cinnamon cream cheese topping
- squash cake a la Årstiderne
The squash cake is served on a ceramic plate made by Signe Kähler.
Squash cake a ala Valdemarsro: - 1 cake
- 350 g sqaush - roughly grated
- 250 g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 250 g wheat (cake) flour
- 100 g butter - soft
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 125 g peacon nuts - medium chopped
- Heat up the fan oven to 175'C.
- Whip the eggs, soft butter and brown sugar together in large mixing bowl using an electrical beater, until the sugar is dissolved.
- In another mixing bowl add the wheat flour, spices, baking powder, soda and pecan nuts.
- Stir this dry-mix into the sugar-egg part of the cake, while you whip gentle.
- Finally add in the grated squash, stir well.
- Pour the cake mixture in a round spring form (diameter 20-22 cm).
- Bake the cake in the middle of the fan oven at 175'C for 50-60 minutes.
- Check, that the cake is baked, before removing it from the oven.
- Let the cake cold, before serving it together with a cup of tea/coffee.
Post a Comment
Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.