Another way of getting safely through the plum season is to use the plums in a cake. I have uses this recipe for a plum cake called "Blommer i skjul", which translates into "Plums in hiding" as inspiration source. You can find the original recipe here: http://www.dansukker.dk/dk/Tema/ÅRET_RUNDT/Sommer/Pluk_blommer.aspx
A serving suggestion is to served this plum cake with some vanilla ice cream, which actually is a perfect balance between the freshness from the plum cake and the sweetness coming from the ice cream :-)
Plums in hiding:
- 1000 g plums before stone removing
- 70 g brown sugar
- 170 g cake flour
- 90 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 125 g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 dl milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Heat the oven to 200'C - conventional oven.
- Wash the plums, cut them into half size and remove the stone.
- Place the plums with open side upside in a oven-stable dish.
- Spread the brown sugar on top of the plums.
- Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves together in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Add the butter into the flour-sugar mix, mixing everything together using your fingers. It should like a grainy mass.
- Add the egg and milk into this mix. Stir everything together using a wood spoon.
- Add the cake dough on top of the plum.