Today Sunday it is Fastelavnssøndag (Shrovetide Sunday) here in Denmark, which is the culmination of the season, where you are eating Fastelavnsboller (Shrovetide Bun) as well as kicking "the cat of the drum" and dressing up, if you are a child. As grown-ups it is expected, that we only eat the Fastelavnsbolle.
I have challenged my work colleagues into bringing their best home-made Fastelavnsbolle with them to work tomorrow Monday, where we select The Best Decorated Fastelavnsbolle and The Best Tasting Fastelavnsbolle. I am targeting to to be the winner of two these options !!!!!!, if the voting is going my way !!!!!!
I have found the recipe on the bun dough on the blog "Maden i mit liv". Another recipe on Shrovetide Bun with marzipan filling can be seen here here. The filling I have created from marzipan, sugar, egg, apple and orange flower extract.
Fastelavnsboller 2012 - Shrovetide buns with marzipan filling - 14 buns:
- 200 g milk
- 125 g butter - melted and cool down
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 tablespoon home-made vanilla sugar home-made vanilla sugar
- 100 g whipping cream - 38% milk
- 500 g wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g marzipan
- 1 apple - grated
- ½ teaspoon orange flower extract - could be left out
- Melt the butter and let it cool down
- Add the yeast to finger warm milk.
- Add the salt, cardamon, vanilla sugar, sugar, whipping cream and melted cooled down butter.
- Add the wheat flour.
- Knead the dough together - I normally for 10 minutes
- Let the raise for 90-120 minutes or the night over (when use 10 g yeast instead of)
- Mix egg, sugar, marzipan, grated apple and orange flower extract together to a homogeneous mass.
- Roll the dough into a square of 50 x 30 cm
- Cut the the dough into squares of 10 x 10 cm
- Add the marzipan filling into the middle of the dough square
- Fold the dough together around the filling - fold it close together
- Place the bun up-side-down on the baking plate
- Raise the buns for another 30 minutes
- Glaze the buns with a whipped egg
- Bake at 220'C for 15 minutes in the middle of the oven (conventional)
- Cool down the buns before decoration with sugar glazing - unfolding your creative side :-)