When I found this recipe on apple cake with walnuts at Sæson (Æblekage med valnødder) using many of the spices, which you associate with Christmas, I knew I wanted to make this cake as part of my Christmas Calendar with the theme of Christmas afternoon tea.
It is possible to make the apple mash a few days before. The use of apple mash in the cake gives a cake with great moisture. However, it also makes it tricky to bake the cake, because when is the cake actually baked !
Apple cake with walnuts:
- 5 apples - cored, peeled and cut into boat shape
- 1 dl water
- 2 teaspoons of home-made vanilla sugar
- 5 teaspoons of sugar
- 125 g butter - soft
- 200 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod - only the seeds
- 300 g (cake) wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ dl whole fat milk
- 100 g sultana raisins
- 100 g walnuts - roughly chopped
- Add the apple boats and water into a medium cooking pot.
- Bring the apples to the boil. Let the apple boil gently for 10-15 minutes.
- When the apples are soft, remove the cooking from the heat and mash the apple together.
- Add in vanilla sugar and sugar. The amount of sugar depends on your sweetness preference.
- Cool down the apple mash.
- Heat up the oven to 190'C.
- Whip the butter, sugar and vanilla seeds together into a firm mass.
- Add wheat flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt and baking soda into the cake mass together with the apple mash and milk. Stir until homogeneous.
- Stir in the raisins and chopped walnuts.
- Fill the cake dough into a round pie form, 22-24 cm in diameter.
- Bake the cake in the middle of the oven at 190'C for 50-70 minutes.
- Cold down the cake, before it is cut.