June 08, 2014

Walnut cream cake a la "Svinkløv Badehotel"



Ever since, that I saw the TV programme "Anne og Anders på Svinkløv Badehotel", I have wanted to make the walnut cream cake, which is a signature cake of Svinkløv Badehotel. Googling "valnøddelagkage Svinkløv Badehotel" let me to this recipe: Valnøddelagkage fra Svinkløv Badehotel.

I made a few changes, as I did not to 1 liter of dairy whipping for one cream cake as I am having a challenging relationship to whipped cream on it´s own. Some times I have the feeling, that whipped cream is growing in my mouth due to it´s fatty taste and texture. So I "downsized" on the amount of dairy whipping cream, and therefore also adjusted on the amount of walnuts and dark chocolate. Dark chocolate being another food stuff, which I have a challenging relationship to due to it´s intense taste. I love milk chocolate and really dislike dark chocolate !!! However, I did not want to exchange the dark chocolate with milk chocolate in this cream cake, as the sweetness of the milk chocolate easily become too much.

Both my good rowing friends and my colleagues (who enjoyed the leftover from my birthday coffee table) became great fans of this walnut cream cake.

Another tip regarding the cutting process of such a cream cake. It is recommended to heat up the the cutting knife in almost boiling water, before making the actual cut in the cake. Also use some kitchen towel for removal of cake leftovers between each cutting. By doing this, the knife will smoothly cut the cake. 

Walnut cream a la "Svinkløv Badehotel": - 10-12 pieces

  • 3 cake plates
  • rum for brushing of the cake plates - optional
  • 650 g dairy whipping cream
  • 25 g vanilla sugar
  • 175 g walnuts - chopped
  • 100 g dark chocolate - chopped
  • 1 tablespoon instant coffee
  • 2 tablespoons boiling water
  • icing sugar
  1. Start by brushing the cake plates with rum.
  2. Whip the dairy whipping cream with vanilla sugar into firm whipped cream.
  3. Gently stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate into the whipped cream.
  4. Place a cake plate on the serving plate. Place half of the cream cake filling on the cake plate.
  5. Place the second cake plate on top of the cream cake filling. Place the second half of the cream cake filling on the second cake plate. 
  6. Place the third cake plate on the cream cake filling.
  7. Dissolve the instant coffee in the boiling water. Stir in icing sugar into the coffee, until the consistency is right for glazing.
  8. Glaze the third cake plate with this coffee glazing.
  9. Decorate the coffee glazing with 8 walnuts.
  10. Place the cream cake cold in the refrigerator for minimum 1 hour, for the cake to set up.
  11. Enjoy the cake with a good cup of coffee or tea.

2 comments:

  1. I was given this recipe and haven't a clue what you mean by cake plate? ... I'm in the USA ... surely it's an edible type plate...

    The only cake plates I know are glass! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, translation from a very Danish word like "lagkagebunde" turned out to be "cake plates" on Google Translate. These "cake plates" are indeed eatable, perhaps a more correct word is layer of sponge cake ? Or the layer of cake being used for making a layer cake with cream filling between the layers.

      I hope you find the cake layer/plates to use, wherever you are in the USA.

      Good luck making this excellent tasting cake :-) Kirsten

      Delete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...