At Midnight New Year´s Eve it is tradition to enjoy marzipan cakes (kransekage) together with champagne/sparkling wine, when the bell will ring it´s 12 strokes. It is best to drink a sweet type of champagne/sparkling wine, so the champagne does not clashes with the sweet marzipan cake.
This year I have decide to make the marzipan cake with a nougat-licorice filling, so I could use up the last nougat after making Christmas sweets. The licorice taste could be judged as too strong by some people, while other persons will have a higher trace hole for licorice. Already now my good friends in Horsens will start to "fear" to taste these marzipan cakes.
I think, that the use of licorice into the nougat as well could work good for a Christmas sweet a la this nougat confect
At it takes time for the nougat filling to set again after the melting of the nougat in the microwave oven, you need to start the creation process either the evening before or very early on New Year's Eve.
The advantage of baking your own marzipan cakes is, that you decided on both the sweetness level as well as the taste of these cakes, if you want to twist the taste.
Another advantage by baking your marzipan cake is, that you can use leftovers of marzipan after all the Christmas activities of home-made marzipan based Christmas sweets.
Marzipan cake nougat filling: - 16-18 pieces
- 95-100 g soft nougat
- ½ teaspoon licorice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon raw licorice powder
- 400 g marzipan
- 125 g icing sugar
- 1 egg - only the egg white or 35 g egg white
- Melt the nougat in the microwave oven, little by little.
- Stir in the type types of licorice powders. If you want a less strong taste, when only use ½ teaspoon licorice powder without raw licorice powder.
- Fill the melted nougat-licorice into a small dome shaped silicone form.
- Place the nougat filling in the refrigerator for minimum 2-3 hours or night over.
- Heat the oven to 220'C (conventional oven).
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Knead all the ingredients together into a homogeneous mass.
- Divide the marzipan cake mass into 16-18 pieces of equal size.
- Press the marzipan cake mass flat, place one piece of nougat filling on the marzipan, and wrap it in marzipan, so the nougat filling is completely covered by marzipan.
- Gentle roll the marzipan cake in a round form a la a small bun.
- Bake the marzipan cake mass at 220'C for 7-8 minutes. After 4 minutes baking time turn the plate around to get a more even baking of each marzipan cake.
- Cool down the marzipan cake.
- Happy New Year :-)