I have been filling the first Christmas baking of 2017 into my Christmas cookie tin collection. I have started of with "pepper nuts", which is a classic/traditional Christmas cookie here in Denmark. Previously I have baking Giant pepper cookies and Liquorice pepper cookies as versions of pepper nuts/cookies.
I found a metallic tin containing the spice mixture for pepper nuts in my local supermarket, so I decided to test out it´s recipe.
Later I have been using this pepper nut spice mixture for the creation of these pepper nut scones.
"Pepper nuts" a la Urtekram:
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g butter - diced into smaller pieces
- 300 g wheat (cake) flour
- 2 tablespoon Peberbød spicemixture from Urtekram
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat up the fan oven to 200'C.
- Add sugar, flour and spice mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the diced butter pieces. Rub the butter pieces into flour-sugar mixture using only your fingers (not the palms of your hand), until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add in the egg and water. Knead the dough until it is homogeneous.
- Divided the dough into smaller portion.
- Roll each portion into a size of 3 cm in diameter.
- Cut each roll into 1-2 cm length. Roll each piece into a round ball.
- Cover the baking trays with baking parchment.
- Bake the pepper nuts at 200'C for approx. 12-15 minutes. After 6 minutes baking shift the position of the baking tray in the oven.
- Cool down the pepper nuts.
- Place the pepper nuts in an airtight container.