This is the very first of plenty plums recipes, which I will be posting in the coming "many" days for now on :-)
The very first thing I made from all the plum, which I got from my work colleague, was off cause plum jam. Last year I made this plum jam with cinnamon and star anise, so I decide make a twist to this spices combination, as I have no cinnamon sticks left anywhere in my kitchen. And as I usual I use a ratio of 2 parts of fruit to 1 part of sugar, as I prefer the fruitiness over the sweetness in jam.
The smell, when you cook this jam is just fantastic :-)
Lønnestræde plum jam - version 2:
- 900 g plums - without stones and diced into desired size
- 100 g water
- 450 g jam sugar - sugar with pectin
- ½ vanilla pod - vanilla corns and pod
- 4 star anise
- 1½ tablespoon apple vinegar
- potassium sorbate - optional
- Wash the plums, remove the stone from the plum and cut into the desired size.
- Heat up the plums in a cooking pot together with a small amount of water.
- Add the spices as well.
- When the plums are boiling, add the jam sugar.
- Bring the fruit to the boiling point and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Adjust the balance between the sweetness and the fruit flavour by adding vinegar into the jam.