For the recent Royal Christmas Afternoon Tea I as usual made scones twisting the recipe on plain yogurt scones to be more Christmas like by adding in marzipan and orange zest. As I have been adding in marzipan, I decided to reduce the sugar level from 85 g to 50 g, as the marzipan also brings sweetness.
The scones were served together with butter and apple jelly.
As type of yogurt you can what ever type of plain un-sweet yogurt, which you have in your refrigerator. I have used this recipe with both Greek-style yogurt, plain semi-skimmed yogurt or even thich mik. so there is no need to buy a special type of yogurt for the creation of these scones.
Scones with marzipan and orange: 9-10 scones
- 350 g wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g sugar
- 85 g butter - diced into small pieces
- 1 organic orange - only the zest
- 75 g marzipan - grated
- 175 g plain Greek-style yogurt - yogurt without addition of neither sugar or fruit
- egg wash
- Cover a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, orange zest and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Add in the butter pieces, rub in the butter using only your fingers, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Afterward add in the grated marzipan.
- Make a hole in the mixture, where the yogurt is pour into. Knead the scone dough together, until it is soft.
- Roll out the scone dough in a thickness of 2 cm.
- Cut out the scones from the dough using a cutter. Do not twist the cutter, while doing this.
- Turn the scone up side down, when it is placed on the baking tray.
- Let the scones raise for 15-30 minutes prior to baking or even more.
- Before making, brush the the top of the scones with egg wash (only the top, as this affect the raising of the scone during baking).
- Bake the scones at 200'C for 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Cold down prior to serving.
- Serve together with tea and apple jelly.